The Canadian Space Agency (CSA) is awarding a new contract to Carré Technologies (Hexoskin) to continue advancing technology on Astroskin, an innovative bio-monitoring system for use aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
Consisting of a "smart shirt" and remote health monitoring software, Astroskin will collect valuable scientific data on astronauts' vital signs, sleep quality and activity levels during their missions. CSA Astronaut David Saint-Jacques will test Astroskin during his six-month mission aboard the ISS in 2018-2019.
Hexoskin's 100% textile biometric clothing captures body metrics including heart rate, breathing rate and acceleration. The Hexoskin shirt offers an easy and more natural way of regularly capturing precise data in real performance contexts. Made to fit in the life of regular people, Hexoskin is also used by trainers of elite and professional athletes who want to monitor and evaluate performance results use Hexoskin. Hexoskin apps are available for iOS and Android devices and smartwatches. Hexoskin smart shirts are used by space and defense agencies, sports scientists, and thousands of health professionals and health researchers all over the world. The Hexoskin connected platform provides a new, convenient way to understand human health in real-life environments.
"Astroskin may have many applications on Earth, such as medical monitoring of those confined to their homes by illness, people living in remote areas with limited medical access, and those working in hazardous environments. It is another in a long list of space technologies brought down to Earth for all of us," said the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport.
"Our team is proud of the role we are playing to support human space travel. One day, thousands of space travelers bound for Mars will need simple reliable medical systems to ensure their health. Deploying our wearable sensors and software to the ISS is significant as this represents the ultimate remote patient monitoring scenario. The findings from tracking the health of astronauts will be used to make our healthcare system more accessible and support new home care and telemedicine services," said Pierre-Alexandre Fournier, CEO and co-founder, Carré Technologies (Hexoskin)
WHAT HEXOSKIN MONITORS
- Heart Rate, HRV (allowing to estimate stress and fatigue), Heart Rate Recovery, and ECG.
- Breathing Rate (RPM), Minute Ventilation (L/min).
- Activity intensity, peak acceleration, steps, cadence and sleep positions.
- 14+ hours of battery life (multiple trainings), 150+ hours of standalone recording.
- Bluetooth connectivity with iPhone, iPad and Android.
- Data validated by independent research labs.
- Designed and assembled in Canada.
- Safe for any kind of activity.
- Machine washable, high-performance Italian fabric.
- Quick dry, breathable, lightweight, anti-odour, chlorine resistant, UV protection.
DATA AND TECH
- Open Data API allows you to download raw data and use your own analytics software.
- Analog 256Hz ECG data.
- Analog dual-channel 128Hz breathing sensors.
- Analog 3D 64Hz acceleration.
Source and top image: Hexoskin